7.30.2009

Grandma's Funeral

Grandma's funeral was this past Saturday. It was beautiful. I loved hearing stories from her childhood and stories about her & my grandpa. My grandma was an identical twin, so it was funny hearing about the jokes she & her twin sister would play on people.

During the funeral, my mom shared some of our memories of Grandma. I told my mom to tell one of my favorite stories about Grandma...it is hilarious. Awhile ago my grandma fell on the ground by her bed and couldn't get back up. While she was waiting for someone to come help her, she spotted a box of chocolates under the bed and started eating them. When one of her kids found her on the floor, she was just laying there eating chocolates. Isn't that hilarious? My mom also talked about how understanding Grandma was about Jackson's death and told about she promised to take care of Jackson for me when she died.

For the closing song at the funeral, all of the grandkids sang "Families Can Be Together Forever". I sang about two words and just stood there bawling the rest of the time. I was kind of embarassed. I knew that was going to happen...that song is so hard for me to sing.

Anyway, seeing my grandma's body and being part of the funeral & burial helped me so much. I know that is so strange, but that brought so much closure and just made me feel better about things. I found these pictures today and thought I'd include them in this post. This first one is obviously of my grandma with Lincoln & I when we got married. Lincoln & I look bad in it (it was SO windy & stormy that day & we're not even looking at the camera) but I love that Grandma is smiling. She hated getting her picture taken so I'm glad I have this picture of her. :)

How sweet is this next picture?! My grandma LOVED Lincoln. Lincoln always treated her so kindly and was so good to her. I loved seeing them interact. Everytime I saw them together I'd tell Lincoln that he just made me fall in love with him more. I appreciated that he knew how important my grandma was to me, and that he was willing to get to know her and love her. This picture sums it all up. Two of my favorite people...

We'll miss you Grandma. We love you!

No comments:

Blog Archive