2.06.2011

Another Week

Another week has gone by and I still don't have Internet or a phone. I have to admit, it is getting a little old. However, we made a lot of progress in other areas this week. We bought a refrigerator, washer, dryer, a microwave, and other smaller things that we needed. We have mattresses sitting on our bedroom floors. We will wait until next semester to buy actual beds. One thing we weren't counting on was how insanely expensive most things are here. Yes, it is true! Things here in Zapopan are more expensive than in the United States. For example, a half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream costs over ten dollars, an ugly one piece baby outfit from the cheapest grocery store I could find costs about thirteen bucks, and milk is almost four dollars a gallon. For someone who is obsessed with finding good deals, it is a wonder that I don't have a total mental breakdown every time I go to the store!

But enough about that. Let's move on to some positive things that happened this week:
1)Kylee suddenly started talking in sentences. ("That's my chair!" or "I want crackers.") She also learned how to say "Gracias!". It is the cutest thing I've ever heard.
2)We ate elote (the corn with chili powder on Nacho Libre!) and pezole (a chicken and corn soup)for the first time this week. DELICIOUS!
3)Kylee went to nursery for the first time by herself. (She had been going with Lincoln & I since she was eight or nine months, but she is finally 18 months and can go by herself.)
4)I bore my testimony in my new ward. I bore it in English. I'm pretty sure nobody ever does that here, but I was proud of myself for doing something way out of my comfort zone.
5)Daisy and I worked out a very efficient system to kill the roaches that have come in our house. I call her and tell her to get the roach, she runs after it and flips it upside down with either her paw or her teeth, then steps back so that I can smash it. Not even kidding.
6)I went a whole week without eating a pastry. Trust me, this is a huge accomplishment!
7)I drove here! Twice! Without dying!
8)I paid for something all by myself. The whole peso/dollar thing can be trickier than it seems.

That is all I can think of for now. I know I've said this before, but the weather here is absolutely incredible. I am also thoroughly enjoying the cityscape view from our bedroom window. I love how much I end up walking around town here, coming to the realization that I now prefer a Mexican meal to an American one, and understanding even more what unbelievably loving and supportive families we have. There are days that are mentally exhausting, when I want certain things to be easy and familiar like they were a few months ago. But there are more days that are filled with good, uplifting things that I have never experienced before. This is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I sure am glad that we are here.

6 comments:

Ralae said...

Glad to hear all is well. Do you guys get a lot of roaches there? I literally have a phobia about roaches since living in our last apartment complex. I wish I had a few pointers on how to get rid of them (sounds like Daisy does a good job though). I know that keeping our drains plugged and putting tape over the overflow holes in the sinks and tubs really helped. I would also say that caulk could become your new nest friend. Seal up any and every crack you might see (even around vents and stuff). Anyway, those ideas helped us. Glad all is well! You're braver than I am. I had a hard time moving here!

Anonymous said...

Dang I would pay big bucks to have a dog kill our roaches. What a wonderful adventure you're experiencing. We miss you so much!

Velika said...

I'm so glad things are going well for you.
When you get internet you have to put a video of Kylee saying gracias! That must be so cute.

Vanessa said...

Hey! Love hearing your positive attitude girl. It sure is an adjustment living here but it will pay off...right?! :)

Verenice said...

You know, after reading your post, we all go through the same things. I think I post about how expensive things are every time I post. You are a great writer. I love to hear your perspective on things.

Susan Allen said...

I love reading your blog Anj. I feel like maybe your not so far away. I can't wait til we can skype and talk on the phone again. I'm so happy for you guys that you are getting to have this wonderful adventure. As much as a I miss you, I know this will be an experience that you will never forget and will always treasure! I love you so much!!! mom xoxoxo

Blog Archive