I think I've always been fairly good at laughing at myself when I do something stupid...but since moving here to Mexico, I've had a lot more opportunities to do so. This whole not-knowing-the-language thing is killing me. I have good intentions of studying Spanish every day, but my priorities seem to change during the day, and I find myself going to bed at night not knowing much more Spanish than I did the day before.
I'm sure those around me would love for me to learn the language. My friend Montse helps me all the time. The other day she came over & asked if I knew what the guy who had knocked on my door a few hours before had wanted. I told her that I thought he had wanted me to buy phone books from him. It turns out that the phone books were free & he was asking for our old phone books in exchange for the new ones. I just said "No gracias" & shut the door, as he stood there & chuckled.
Today Lincoln was supposed to give a talk in church. Before the meeting started, a counselor in the bishopric told him that they would only need him to speak if there was extra time at the end of sacrament meeting. If not, they would have him speak another day. In the middle of the final speaker's talk, near the time when the meeting was supposed to end, Kylee started screaming so Linc took her out. After the talk was over, the bishopric member got up & said something that I didn't understand...then "Lincoln Hiatt...esta aqui?" I knew that meant "Is he here?" so I jumped up, held up my finger saying "Just a minute" to the bishopric member & ran out looking for Lincoln. When I found him outside, I said, "Lincoln! They want you to speak! RIGHT NOW!" Lincoln of course is saying "What?! Right now?" and ran inside to grab his notes so that he could give his talk.
I walked into the chapel a couple minutes later, as they were singing the closing song. I asked Linc, "Why aren't you speaking?" He said, "Anjane'! They were sustaining me to my calling...not asking me to speak!" Ha ha ha. We got a good laugh out of that one. I'm trying hard not to feel like a total dork here. It's not working yet. :)
P.S.- Linc is the new YM/YW Sunday School teacher. They haven't had a teacher for 6 months. It makes me appreciate how smoothly the wards in the U.S. run, although I have to say that I love the feeling of our small ward pulling together to make things work!
P.S.- Linc is the new YM/YW Sunday School teacher. They haven't had a teacher for 6 months. It makes me appreciate how smoothly the wards in the U.S. run, although I have to say that I love the feeling of our small ward pulling together to make things work!


5 comments:
ha ha ha......I can just picture you running out to get Linc and the bishopric thinking, "What in the world?"
This post totally made me laugh - I love it!
Too funny! I'm sure by the time you get back to the states your Spanish will be better than your English. Good luck with it!
HAHA!! I'm ready for more stories like that one!
Too funny! I bet you won't live that one down! Pretty soon you'll speak it without thinking!
Post a Comment