1.18.2012

Back to Mexico!!!

We left the U.S. on Thursday, Jan. 5th. Leaving my family was depressing. I really enjoyed having so much time to spend with them on this trip. Kylee loved all of the attention & having people other than me to talk to during the day. I liked staying up late & talking to Megan, having playdates with Melissa & Nixen, & spending extra time with my parents. While saying goodbye, I didn't cry until I realized that Melissa will have her baby next month & I won't be able to be there for any of it! I have to thank my family too, for being so accommodating, supportive & loving. We miss all of you already!!!

We met Josh Haskin at the border, ran into the gas station for our last dose of American treats (peach rings & Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups for me and sunflower seeds & Mt. Dew for Linc), then crossed back into good old Mexico. Lincoln thinks it is extremely weird that I get excited to cross back into Mexico. I really do enjoy living here.

It ended up taking some time to get Josh's truck registered & all of our paper work taken care of. Kylee & I usually just walk around outside while we are waiting for Lincoln to take care of everything. This time, I had Daisy & Hallux with me too. As I was sitting there, a guy who had asked Lincoln for some money & who Lincoln had refused (sounds mean, but SO many people ask for money here, that you can't give to all of them) came up to me & asked me (in Spanish) if I had the keys to my truck. I looked at him kind of flabbergasted, thinking that he was seriously trying to take advantage of me & was trying to steal my truck! We went back & forth for a few minutes with me saying that he couldn't have my keys (laughing, because I couldn't believe that he was even asking!) and him asking me if I would give him my keys, if I knew where my keys were, etc. He finally pulled my keys out of his pocket & held them up! Apparently they had slipped out of my pocket when I sat down on a fence while holding the dogs' leashes & this guy found them & picked them up. I couldn't believe I'd done that, but told this guy "muchas gracias" over & over and assured him that I would give him a "propina" or "tip" as soon as Lincoln came outside with our money. Man, my clumsiness could have been disastrous, that's for sure!

We drove for about 11 hours the first day & stayed overnight in Navajoa. Kylee is a really good traveler, which we are thankful for! She slept and read books...
She also played make-believe with her stuffed animals and watched DVD's...
The dogs were great too. They just slept most of the way, even though they were trying to cuddle up to us the whole time!
We drove about 12 hours the next day & made it safely home to Zapopan! It felt so good to walk into my clean house (courtesy of my husband) & to sleep in my own bed! We really enjoyed seeing everyone in the U.S., but it is also nice to be home.

No comments:

Blog Archive