11.13.2011

We're Leavin' On A Jet Plane

Well, a few days ago we made a last-minute decision for Kylee & I to fly to AZ a few weeks early. We were originally going to stay here in Mexico until the middle of December & stay in AZ for 3 weeks. Now Kylee & I will be in the U.S. for 6 1/2 weeks, while Lincoln stays here with the dogs until our original departure date. I've said many times how much I love Mexico & the adventures it brings, my friends here, the weather, the food, and so many other things. It doesn't mean it is always easy for me to live here though!

I want to feel a change in the seasons...I want it to feel like Thanksgiving & Christmas. I want Kylee to be around other people, besides me, during the day. I want to be able to go shopping, know exactly what I'm buying, & find good prices. I don't want to be stuck at home all day without a car. I want to see if my throat infections & Kylee's ear infections go away when we are in the U.S. (Yes, Kylee had another double ear infection last week & I came down with another throat infection yesterday.) I want to feel spiritually uplifted every Sunday...without having a headache from trying to understand 3 hours of Spanish & how the lessons (that I'm barely understanding) apply to me. I want to be able to leave the house & know exactly where I'm going & what to expect once I get there. I want to eat graham crackers, American-made sandwiches & salads, smoothies, and even Taco Bell! I haven't been truly homesick until now.

It has always been so important for me to be around the people I love during the holidays. I'm not one to spend every day with my family. Even when I was little, I went to Cali by myself (& stayed with a friend or my cousins) quite a few times & I never felt homesick. Since I've been here in Mexico, I've missed everyone but haven't just been aching to be back. But right now I do. I never miss an extended family get-together or tradition. I have eaten Sunday dinner with my immediate family for the majority of my life. Those are the things that are most important to me & the things that I am missing most right now. My family even celebrated the holidays that I would miss while I was back in AZ for the summer...and when I felt sad that I missed the family Easter Egg hunt & egg toss, as well as Trick-or-Treating for Halloween, I was so glad that I'd celebrated those things with them. 

Yes, I'm extremely sentimental about the holidays and I'm not afraid to admit it. 

Going back to the U.S. earlier will also make it so that I am able to get my HRT patches that I am almost out of & can't get here. Trust me, this is a great thing. When I'm not on the right hormone patches, it is not pleasant. It will also enable me to do some Christmas shopping & visit with friends before Lincoln joins us, instead of having to crowd it all in. Lincoln has finals until the day before Thanksgiving, then a few days later he will start a program with some friends who are a semester ahead of him in school. They will be studying Monday through Friday from 8am-7pm for two weeks. Linc will also have tithing settlement (since he is the ward secretary/clerk) a few nights a week, and his usual Sunday responsibilities, plus bishopric meeting. So...for my own sanity & Kylee's, I am very relieved that we will be back in the U.S. around other people. We will miss Linc like crazy though!

So that's it. We are leaving in a week & were able to get on the same flight as my good friend Vanessa & her daughter, which I am really excited about! (Although since we are waking up at 4am to be to the airport on time, the flight might be a little rough.) And yes, I've learned my lesson about taking a toddler & 4 carry-on bags with me, which is why I will be checking a bag this time. :) All in all, it should be a lot of fun to get our fill of the U.S. I'm sure by the end of our trip, I will be ready to come back to our daily life in Mexico. We'll drive home with Lincoln & the dogs the first week of January, & the next week Linc will start his 3rd semester of school! Whew, life in medical school sure gets crazy at times!!!

1 comment:

Kachelle said...

We miss you too! Bryan and I were just talking about you guys and how we miss you. Hope you get better in the us!

Blog Archive