5.20.2009

Final Verdict

Well, I just got back from my GI appointment...let me just say again how much I LOVE this doctor. He is so smart and thorough. He gave me a lot of tips and answers that actually made sense to me! First of all, I've gained weight these past two months...probably about 13 lbs. When I got on my parent's Wii Fit yesterday and it said that I had gained 8.5 lbs since I had weighed last, I about died! A lot of my jeans don't fit me. I've been having crazy sugar cravings almost every night and I hardly ever feel full, even after I just ate a huge meal. My fingers have even been swelling the past few days, to the point where I can't get my wedding ring off...my fingers didn't even swell when I was pregnant! So anyway...my doctor was talking to me about the medicine I've been taking at night (for about 2 months) & said that most people that take it gain weight! Duh...I guess I didn't realize that it was from the medication, because I only gained a few pounds the first month I was on it. This whole time I thought I was just going crazy! (It reminded me of when I gained 20lbs in a month when I was put on birth control in high school for ovarian cysts...not pleasant memories!) I am really hoping that within a week or two I am off of the medication...but I have no idea if that is realistic or not. It has been helping me so much...but I don't know if I can stand gaining 10lbs again this month.

As far as my diet goes, I need to eat chicken, fish and cooked veggies. Apparently fresh fruit and salads are probably causing some of the pain. I also need to cut back on carbs. With my acupuncturist wanting me to cut back on dairy, I'm a little concerned about what's left for me to eat! I guess I'll figure it out. So that's the final verdict...basically it is IBS and I need to change my diet. I really think the pain is so bad because I have endometriosis too. I want to get used to the diet (and hopefully lose a little weight) before we try again to get pregnant. At least I know what I need to do! I haven't had so many answers and options in SUCH a long time. I'm so glad I found a doctor who knew what I needed!

P.S. Thanks for all of the bday wishes yesterday!!!

Update: I am reading a packet about IBS that the dr gave me. Under theories of what causes IBS, it says, "The development of IBS following severe gastrointestinal infections, such as those caused by salmonella, has been well recognized for many years." It would be just my luck if I developed this because of all the peanut butter that I ate. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can click here to find out. I think I just have really bad luck. :)

4 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

I could totally see those two being related. Salmonella is serious stuff. But I am so happy it's nothing life threatening and that it's something that can be managed. And I am SO happy you feel relieved and confident in this Doctor and the information you have been given. That is always a relief !

BAM & CJ said...

So what do you eat besides chicken, fish & cooked veggies??
Hopefully everything will get "fixed" the way you want it to. Good luck! Call me when you get a chance! =)

Jana said...

I hate diets like that! Sounds even worse than south beach! Let me know if you want that book back, by the way...maybe it has some good recipes in it.
And happy birthday!! I can't believe I missed your birthday...what a lame-o I must be. :) I would bring you a treat or something but that would probably be very rude of me. So, happy birthday!

Michelle McClure said...

Oh happy day! I hope that from here on out it is smooth(er) sailing!

Blog Archive