5.23.2009

"Grief is itself a medicine." -William Cowper

Today I spent a few hours with a friend who lost her daughter recently. We talked about our babies and how we are grieving our losses. There aren't many people I can speak so openly & honestly with about Jackson. Our conversation left me feeling happy and uplifted. After that, I went to my grandma's house...she has pancreatic cancer and is dying. It will be interesting to see how I feel once she is gone. I've already told her how I feel about her, and have talked with her about dying. When I talk with her, I quickly remember what is really important. I remember why we need to serve people. My recent visits with her have deepened my understanding of the gospel and the plan of salvation. There is something about taking care of someone who can't do anything for themselves, that quickly reminds you of the meaning of life, love, and relationships. I'm so thankful that I've been put in uncomfortable positions, in which I've learned to have sympathy for those who have health problems and for those who have lost loved ones. I value the lessons I've learned from my trials above anything else. I know I'm not nearly as good as I need to be about understanding people and what they are going through, but I'm thankful that I still have time to learn! Today was a wonderful day for me!

1 comment:

Kami Milliron said...

Thanks friend, I had a great time too. I relate to how you feel with your Grandma. I was at my Dad's side from day 1 of his Cancer diagnosis until he passed away. I saw him slowly deteriorate. I talked to him about things and strengthened my Testimony by watching him be so strong and excited for what was next. He told me at least 100 times in the 4 months that he was slowly dying that he would take care of my sweet Ellie for me. I have such a peace about that because he seemed so excited and so sure about being there. It brings such a peace now.

Blog Archive