5.15.2009

RESULTS

I actually got my results back yesterday from the endoscopy. I'm so pleased with my GI Specialist's office...they are always so on top of things! I never have to call them...they always call me with reminders & results. What a blessing! Anyway, my results came back...NEGATIVE, which means that they were completely normal. In the past, I've been so disappointed when my tests haven't shown anything, but I feel good about these results. The dr is telling me it is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which my primary care doctor already diagnosed me with, quite awhile ago. I've heard that IBS is very often misdiagnosed, & in the past I've had doctors diagnose me with something that I didn't really have, so I still wasn't positive I had it. Now I know for sure that I do have IBS & that I need to work hard to make the necessary lifestyle changes in order to deal with it. I'm confident that if anything else was wrong, it would have shown up on the tests that the GI Specialist did. He was extremely thorough and I trust his diagnosis. It's hard because my stomach hurts no matter what I eat. I guess I just need to figure out how to avoid the flare-ups and hope that over time, if I'm eating really healthy, that my constant stomachaches will get better. I'm concerned about my endometriosis coming back (I've felt the beginnings of it returning for a few weeks now). When my endometriosis is bad, I have more problems with my stomach and vice versa. At least I don't have to have any more tests or surgeries in the near future...I'm so thankful for that!

6 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Wow, who would have thought IBS caused the pain. I know a few people who have IBS, but I have never heard of them having that much pain. I remember having weird stomach pain for no reason when I was like 20. I started taking Acidophilus and within a few days, it went away. I never figured out why it hurt. It hasn't come back since. The only thing that was nice about it was I lost a ton of weight ; ) But then I got married and gained the Freshman 15. Then the pregnancies and so on. Fun times !

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious or life threatening.

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

I am glad that you have a doctor that you are confident in and that you finally got some answers that will help you. You are so postive even through all this junk.

Jana said...

WOW, seems kind of intense for IBS. According to my dad, Papaya juice is the best thing for it. And some diet where you don't eat the kind of fiber that is usually considered the healthier kind. They found it online and say it helps....I'll ask about it if you want!

Jana said...

P.S. are you glad you're not going to a primary activity today, or are you jealous??

Admin said...

Hey, I also have IBS. It stinks! Although mine is not anywhere near as bad as yours, at certain times it can be. For me, I had "attacks" usually once or twice a week for years and years, ever since I was a little girl. I just got used to it and spent a lot of time in bed (or the bathroom!!). I know I've shared a book with you, and I firmly believe that your diet can positively or negatively affect your symptoms. The things the helped me to be pretty much symptom free for the past year are the following:

Colon cleansing - sounds gross, but seriously an amazing way to clean out your insides and calm your bowels.

Diet - Whole grains (the good kind), lots of fruits and veggies, organic food as much as possible (you don't need all of those extra chemicals messing with your system), a lot less meat, and very little dairy.

Stress relief - I know you've done acupuncture, but massages or gentle chiropractic visits, or whatever else helps to calm your muscles down will also calm your insides. Also, go to the temple as often as possible (sounds weird, but for me it helps just about all aspects of my life & definitely reduces stress)!!

Good luck!!! I hope you can find the answers that work for you and you can receive the relief you are searching for!

Holly said...

Even though IBS is not a walk in the park sometimes it's just in the knowing what you are up against. I know that's been difficult. There are so many ideas about things that may help and you will have to do the research, try some and find what helps you. I don't have IBS but when I was in my late teens and early 20s I would get really bad pains in my stomach a few times a week after I ate certain foods. I had an idea what some of those foods were but never really did anything about it. But one day Robin was telling me that sure was eliminating sugar from her diet for awhile. I thought there was no way I could do it. Then I thought maybe I can so I found a good reason (as if not eating sugar isn't a good enough in an of itself) and I stopped for 6 months. I didn't eat candy, cake, chocolate, cookies, pudding, no jam on toast etc or drink soda, koolaid etc. I did of course eat fruit, and some breads or other things that may incidently have sugar but that was it. It was amazing--I felt better, could think better, lost 10lbs, and my stomach pains went away. I didn't think it would affect my body but it did in a very positive way. I'm not sure why the stomach pains went away but I have my theories. Sorry such a long post and I hope it doesn't add anymore confusion. Good luck and we are praying for you.

Blog Archive