5.29.2010

Recovery Update & Phoenix Zoo

Today was the first day since Monday that I got out of my pajamas and got out of the house. This recovery is proving to be very drawn-out and unpredictable. My good days are REALLY good and I feel good enough to do almost anything...and then I feel extremely achey and tired the other days. I'm guessing that lifting Kylee constantly, since 2 weeks after my surgery, has a lot to do with my fatigue and pain. It's not terrible, but just enough that just doing the minimum and taking care of her after Linc leaves for work every day, proves to be pretty hard for me. I also came to the realization that my body is extremely weak after having had my past 2 surgeries within 3 1/2 months of each other. I've never had surgeries that close together, and my hysterectomy is the first major surgery I've ever had. It always took me a month, at the most, to completely recover from each of my other 8 surgeries...so dealing with a long recovery is uncharted territory for me.

My incisions are no longer infected, which I'm very happy about. They are almost completely healed now...although there are some random stitches sticking out of them. :) I won't say much more about my hormone replacement therapy from here on out, because I am totally fine! I really can't believe it, but this past week everything has evened out and I haven't noticed even one negative side effect. That is amazing to me! I was extremely worried about that, but it has turned out much better than I'd even hoped it would.

Which leads me to posting about another GOOD day for me today! My parents bought Lincoln & I year passes to the Phoenix zoo for our birthdays (an early gift for Linc) and we went for the first time today. Kylee wasn't as interested in the animals as we hoped she would be (she cried at the petting zoo because she was scared) but Lincoln & I had a BLAST! It wasn't crowded at all, and we went in the morning so it wasn't too hot. We saw the animals do some AWESOME things. There were some incredible photo-ops of the animals that we didn't get to take advantage of, because we didn't bring our camera. You'll just have to take my word for it that if I'd captured these moments, our zoo pictures would have put all other zoo pictures to shame. :)

This isn't my picture, but it is the actual tiger that we saw, and we did see him in the tree. We watched this guy literally jump high into the tree and go up & up & up to the very top. I still can't believe those small tree branches could hold up such a big animal. I was amazed at how agile this tiger is! He would walk along a small branch, and then turn all the way around and walk the other way, without skipping a beat. It was crazy!!! Nobody knew the tiger was even out, since they weren't expecting him to be in the tree (although we did try to point it out to a few people who just looked at us like we were crazy) so we were the tiger's exclusive audience for awhile. We just sat in the shade and watched him for probably 20 minutes. This was by far my favorite zoo experience ever! Can you tell that I love animals? :)

One of the baboons had us laughing pretty hard. He had his head propped up on his arms, sitting right in front of the window, sleeping. His face was touching one side of the glass while we were touching the other side. Hard to describe, but one of the funniest things I've seen. :)

We did manage to get a picture with our phone of the warthog giving us a big smile...

After coming home for a much needed nap for Kylee & I, we went to my parents' house to hang out in the pool. I just put my feet in, but Linc & Kylee enjoyed swimming together. This little girl is IN LOVE with her daddy...farmer tan & all! :)

6 comments:

M and D Hiatt said...

Congratulations on being able to go the zoo and actually ENJOY yourself!!! I am so happy for you. Really, I get all choked up just thinking that you could go on an outing like that and not have it be an overwhelming experience for you. Such good things are ahead for you. Love you guys :)

taylorfamily said...

Oh, it is so nice to hear that you are doing so well! I hope to hear that you start having more good days than bad. We think about you often.

Jen West said...

The zoo is one of my favorite places EVER! Kylie will love it more and more as she grows up. I am glad your recovery is going well. I have heard that it is just a way longer recovery than you think it will be... so don't rush it. Keep in mind how wonderful you will feel next month and then the next month. Tell Linc hi and squeeze those cute baby thighs for us!

Kachelle said...

i can totally sympathise with the weak after too many surgeries! yikes!! it will get better. we miss you guys.

Shelley Goodman said...

I loved your comment on my blog. It's funny because I climbed up on the wall to reach some blackberries on top and I was thinking about all the times we played together in your grandparents backyard and in that little "house" connected in the back. I remember jumping off a playhouse onto the tramp and when somebody got their finger chopped off in a door and your mom picked it up and bagged it with ice. Oh the good ol' days!

Tyra said...

Hey hope your feeling better soon. I love you and you have a cute family

Blog Archive